Mark Sagliocco/Getty Images Alec Baldwin
Alec Baldwin could potentially face charges in the fatal shooting that occurred last year on the set of Rustaccording to Santa Fe County District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies.
During a New Mexico Board of Finance meeting held Sept. 20, Carmack-Altwies requested emergency funding in excess of $635,000 to continue the investigation into the tragedy that took place on Oct. 21 — when Baldwin, 64, was holding the gun that discharged and killed 42-year-old cinematographer Halyna Hutchins and injured director Joel Souza.
Baldwin has maintained that he did not pull the trigger.
“We are within weeks, if not days, of receiving the final report from the sheriff’s office,” she shared, per a video recording of their meeting seen by PEOPLE. Carmack-Altwies said that, while pending the final report, “it’s become apparent that we will be potentially charging between one and four people with criminal charges, and each of those charges will probably include some variation of our homicide statute.”
In a letter to the New Mexico Board of Finance, obtained and published by Deadlinethe district attorney‘s office stated, “One of the possible defendants is well-known movie actor Alec Baldwin,” adding that the case “could require up to 4 separate jury trials.”
On Monday, Baldwin’s lawyer, Luke Nikas of Quinn Emanuel, told PEOPLE in a statement: “Some media reports today draw false conclusions based on a letter from the Santa Fe Dist. Attorney.”
“The DA has made clear that she has not received the